Kitchen Progress
September 20, 2008

We've been working on getting the kitchen put back together, so I thought I'd post some pictures of our progress. We took a break from the kitchen for a few days to get the exterior painting done while we had good weather. We also worked on the utility room, but now we're back to working on the kitchen again.

After replacing the beam, we put up new drywall to cover the beam and close in the wall between the kitchen and bathroom. We taped and mudded the drywall in the areas that will not be covered by cabinets. We also installed 5 pot lights in the ceiling, patched the hole from the old light, added 5 outlets and a second light switch. Then we textured the walls, primed, and painted. Again, we didn't waste our time on areas that will be hidden behind cabinets. We also had to fix some broken boards in the floor, and strengthen a weak area so it would support the floor tile. After that we layed cement backer board for the floor tiles.

We're waiting to put up the bottom piece of drywall until we have a gas line for the stove.

Looks like a mess, but it's better than it was...

Getting ready to prime the walls.

One of the broken boards that needed to be fixed since its right in the walkway from the kitchen to the family room.

After fixing the boards, we had to use leveling compound to level that section of the floor since there was a difference in height from when the family room was added onto the house.

New paint, pot lights, outlets, and switches. No reason to paint where the cabinets will be...

Looking towards the utility room with the washer, dryer, furnace, and water heater.

From the family room into the kitchen.

Three of the new lights along the beam.

Cement backer board on the floor in preparation for laying tile.